Event logistics checklist
This page provides a checklist of things to take care of when organizing events - feel free to use this checklist as the Word form.
- 1 Before the event
- 2 During the event
- 3 After the event
Before the event
Preparation of formal participants' documents
- Travel (documents):
Book flights, using names as shown on the passport Ticket / boarding pass collection / handover tracking Expense reimbursement
- Visa requirements
Inform participants about visa requirements As and when, organizing visa requirements for some participants Preparing invitation letter for participants?
Preparation of meeting documents
- Prepare workshop forms
Registration form Evaluation form (prepare with facilitator) Prepare list of participants
- Prepare (with facilitator) / collect final agenda and update the wiki page (or separate file) to share that agenda with participants later
Finalize logo design Use the new logo design in the workshop related publications i.e. banner, agenda, logo, name tag, etc
- Prepare name tags
- Identify documents required to be photocopied and photocopy / print documents:
Agenda Name tags Participants' useful information kit Banner for the main gate - print out outside?
Meeting room requirements
- Table arrangement for meeting – Lalibela Auditorium / Konso Auditorium / Infocentre / other meeting rooms?
- Table arrangement for registration Auditorium / Infocentre
- Identify potential secretaries for the event and inform them about who does what at ILRI, what are they needs etc. to arrange all these aspects
- SMART Board
- PC with anti-virus (and updated software checked by team)
- Video connection / teleconference, if required
- Flip chart stands + paper blocks + markers
- Other facilitation materials e.g. sticky tape, coloured cards, post-it notes, magic wall + spray
- Note pads + pens for participants (preferably in stacks at the entrance for informal meetings - distributed around the tables for formal meetings).
Remind participants about
- Visa requirements (identify those who can get visa on arrival and require support letter - usually coming from countries hosting an Ethiopian Embassy - and those those who need visa from the Ethiopian Ministry of Foreign Affairs before their arrival.
- Submitting their flight details (for airport transfers and accommodation).
- Cost coverage (who are the budget line/cost code manager or are they self paying?)
- Submit final list of participants to Housing and AirLink with details (AND IN NAIROBI?) and update the event wiki page with that list of participants (to be updated on the wiki)
- Organize airport transfer (with Airlink for Addis, with Charleston for Nairobi)
- Room reservation with Housing and Catering Unit (in Addis) (AND IN NAIROBI?)
- Arrange cash payment collection with the organizing team
- Send out 'What happens on your arrival' message to participants to inform them how they will be picked up, accommodated etc.
Inform participants about the hostel room rates (USD 85 for standard room and USD100.00 for executive room incl. breakfast) Inform ILRI housing (in Ethiopia) about booking rooms or finding alternative accommodation outside the campus
- Check if there will be a social event (or more) and book venue accordingly...
- Withdraw $ for travelers' reimbursement
- Inform bank that participants may need to change money and may need to know exchange rates
- Announce the event on the relevant (Google) calendar(s)
- Social Media
Note taking team to update the wiki page or take notes on a separate document if no wiki is used) Photo/ Audio/ video recorder (to take pictures and possibly record group work summaries and interview participants) Blogging: who will blog, on what blog, about what? Collect all presentations - file-name them consistently (e.g. EVENTNAME_AUTHOR_PRESENTATIONNAME
- Announce the event in the Week Ahead at ILRI's email
Confirmations Make sure that the following are confirmed:
- Car arrangements for pick-up
- Special dinner arrangement
- Inform Security about the event
- Camera / audio-video arrangements
- ICT support for setting up web-conferencing if any?
- Send reminder for the workshop participants with wiki link
During the event
- Table set up
Provide meeting kits Set up registration table with registration list (and someone to manage it) Prepare and print name tags
- Organise social (media) reporters and get them in place at the onset
- Ensure facilitators/ resource persons are in place
- Update event wiki page / blog with information about the event.
- Collect participants'
Boarding pass Visa fee/airport tax Tickets Local transportation expenses from country of origin
- Reimburse participants' travel-related expenses
- Reconfirm return and airport transfer
- Return participants’ tickets
- Calculate travel expenses for whoever a Travel (TA) is prepared from Addis side [in USD]
- Prepare bill settlement form
After the event
- Finalize reporting/blog updates etc.
- Ensure the event wiki is updated
- Prepare financial report for (re)charging and share it with financial sponsors.
Use this list as an effective checklist in the following format: File:Events logistics checklist.docx
More (general) information?
Standard text for logistics page for events
Welcome to the ILRI Ethiopia campus in Addis Ababa! Visit the ILRI Ethiopia wiki for information on the campus, its facilities, things to do etc
Entrance visa You must have a visa to enter - either in advance from an embassy or on arrival (for some countries) please []
Visa requirements to enter Ethiopia for official business:
- If you are a participant coming to Ethiopia from a country that has an Ethiopian Embassy or an Ethiopian Consulate,
send a scanned copy of the bio-data pages of your passport to the workshop organized in ILRI up on receipt of a visa facilitation letter from ILRI, apply for a business visa at the Ethiopian Embassy in your country of residence provide feedback on visa issuance to the workshop organizer
- If you are coming from where there is no Ethiopian diplomatic representation and you are holder of the passport of the country of residence:
send a scanned copy of the bio-data pages of your passport to the workshop organizer in ILRI; you will receive a scanned copy of the visa authorization letter issued by the Ethiopian Immigrations; Keep a hard copy of the visa authorization when you travel to show the airport authorities if asked about visa.
- If you are coming from where there is no Ethiopian diplomatic representation and you are not holding of the passport of the country of residence:
send a scanned copy of the bio-data pages of your passport send a scanned copy of the residence permit issued to you by the government of the country of your residence you will receive a scanned copy of the visa authorization letter issued by the Ethiopian Immigrations; keep a hard copy of the visa authorization when you travel to show the airport authorities if asked about visa.
Airport pick up (Airlink) Travelers will be met at the airport by someone with an 'ILRI' board in the arrivals area. The company organizing pick up is Airlink; they can be reached at +251 911 14 32 29 / +251 913 002 254 ). The two ways rate is USD30.00
Cash and currency exchange The ILRI campus hosts a bank (Wegagen Bank) which can help you change currency. Only US Dollars, euros and British Pounds (and naturally Ethiopian Birrs) are accepted however.
Plugs Ethiopia uses two-(round)pin plugs as in Europe - see an example here. ILRI does not provide plug adapters so please come prepared.
Weather and other information The weather is dry and sunny [strong sun!] and chilly at night [bring warm jackets!]. Visit the ILRI Ethiopia campus page for other information