E&C team meeting 20140918

From ilri-comms ilriwikis

Present: Angeline Nekesa, Ben Hack, Ewen Le Borgne (notes), Muthoni Njiru (chair), Tsehay Gashaw...


Agenda

  1. Current projects -Oct 1 ILRI@40, OCS, POD site, LSE Seminar, etc
  2. Support to other teams dealing with requests and how to prepare our work strategically?
  3. Using Asana (progress)
  4. Reclassification
  5. AOB

Summary of action points

ACTION: Tsehay to contribute to comms plan for Addis activities. ACTION: Prepare plans for each event (Borlaug). ACTION: AN to plan a meeting with Patricia to introduce this.

ACTION: TG to ask Apollo to take pictures of P&OD members in Addis ACTION: AN to organize photo-shoot with P&OD staff in Nairobi to replace bad quality FlickR pictures

ACTION: Ewen to talk to Peter B about reclassification process

ACTION: Angie, Muthoni, Tsehay to work on induction guidelines on a wiki page (on ILRI Comms) and (perhaps) to develop 2-3 slides as handouts for the key comms channels ('The big 5') .


Meeting notes

1. Current projects

ILRI@40

Nairobi Our guest list is 750 people for the Nairobi event - or around 600 during the day and 700 during the evening for the cocktail. An inaugural address from the Kenyan secretary of livestock is planned and then this moves into a panel discussion with a large representation from the ministries, private sector etc. with the help of Ed Rege from Pico team. Good ideas about how to target discussions for the panel. An open tour from 2pm is planned for staff and people who registered for it. 3 different hubs with 3 different sections for each hub i.e. 9 stations. Jo Cadilhon, Ethel and Job Kihara are leading this.

In the evening we have a cocktail (4.30-9pm). We invited up to 1200 guests - perhaps back to 700. Formal speeches from Jimmy and long serving staff + students.

Addis

For Addis activities are also progressing, though more slowly. Facilitation plans are being developed with the session owners for the 4 different strands planned (leads are: Peter Thorne, Mats Lannerstad, Delia Grace and Isabelle Baltenweck). Tsehay, Muthoni and Ewen will be involved in the facilitation. On the side of the ILRI Addis events, there will also be some induction program for new ILRI Comms staff posted in the regions (see more information under AOB) which this team has to take care of and develop, and there will also be a session with Sidney Westley where she trains us on some communication work (to be determined) and in turn she would like to know more about the way we do comms work these days. Tropentag activities caught up with Ben who's been working on some light campaign to target German-speaking TT2014 participants.

We now need to develop a comms plan for the Addis events, and very small plans for each of the other events (Borlaug, AACAA etc.)...

ACTION: Tsehay to contribute to comms plan for Addis activities. ACTION: Prepare plans for each event (Borlaug).

Generally, an ILRI@40 Comms plan has been developed. Everyone should read it and get familiar with it. It builds upon Tezira's comms plan for the Nairobi event and on the LinkedIn engagement concept note too. LinkedIn is our conversation space by excellence for the ILRI@40 events. And as E&C team we have a mandate to keep everyone in the ILRI comms team updated on ILRI@40 work (on the ILRI Comms Yammer group) so that they know what's going on and how to connect and engage in various ways. This is everyone's responsibility in this team.

OCS

Still a lot of big questions pending about this. Right now the bulk of our comms work is on:

  • Updating the wiki with information about the different modules to populate the FAQ section;
  • Attending to the 'AskILRIOCS' inbox, which got its first query - attended to by Isaac;
  • Attending bi-weekly OCS steering committee meetings and taking minutes + disseminating information on Yammer about it (and updating the wiki)

Other work (branding and other ideas expressed in the OCS comms plan) will be re-examined when it becomes clearer when the roll out will start.

P&OD site

Dani and Liya built a prototype which is cool. Very different look & feel from the Drupal. Now fleshing out the menu of the website. Some work to be done there. The placeholder with 'IRS, 'NRS' etc. also needs to be fleshed out and updated. Let's go back with the prototype to the client. Patricia will be on leave next week and comes back on 29 September - she's very keen on this. ACTION: AN to plan a meeting with Patricia to introduce this. Some feedback/ideas:

  • It might be nice, on the home page, to have e.g. a live feed of the training that's happening, of how staff can find out about development etc. introducing the overall vision of P&OD for the organisation (e.g. ).
  • Would be good to extend that feedback session to e.g. Muthoni etc.
  • We already have a page for trainings etc. so it'd be good to have the website feature other aspects.
  • It'd be good to have a sense of conversation with us staff, a more human interface (e.g. introducing how staff can help P&OD for the Christmas committee).
  • Someone from P&OD Nairobi will be going to Addis and could also be trained by Dani (including the sliding image and the service that the unit wants to focus on)... We could focus the discussion on the contents rather than the layouts etc.

AN should map out the conversation that you want to discuss with the P&OD team, rather than 'this is it, what do you think?' - ask 'what should go in the slider' etc. 'How to structure the landing page'... AN did the photoshoot session but some people are not happy with the shoots... ACTION: TG to ask Apollo to take pictures of P&OD members in Addis. For FlickR we need to have renewed pictures from the Nairobi staff. ACTION: AN to organize photo-shoot with P&OD staff in Nairobi to replace bad quality FlickR pictures

Ben has been doing some reading. The gender team came to visit and organised a workshop.

LSE seminar

They ran with it (happening today). Muthoni however designed the invite for the team. Tim was very happy with the invite flyer and Muthoni passed on the template. Burness is helping with the media - 14 journalists coming over and MN piggy-backing on this. There will be another seminar ??

2. Support to other teams / attending to requests

People have been having discussions. A lot of questions we are getting with the new CKM structure. People still want to do some work that they used to expect from ILRI Comms but don't know how to channel now. We have to engage with their requests. Right now we are so busy with ILRI@40 and other activities that we are just reacting to requests (in relation with this issue) but we should keep this on the agenda and review it periodically.

3. Using Asana

Next meeting we'll do Asana-style with Ben Hack leading. He'll make sure we'll have tasks and talking points. Angela's leading. Next meeting on 8 October - if Ben's away Tsehay & Ewen can do it.

4. Reclassification

The new comms team (CKM) has a lot of reclassification processes for different positions within Comms. For AN, MN, TG. The grade/scale remains the same. From the time that CKM changed. We still have the same titles etc. but there are other people in Comms that have their new title etc. Anita from P&OD mentioned that the tasks have changed so we're talking about a new position, not a reclassification process. It's better to move as a group than individual by individual. A lot of old tasks are still part of our current tasks. e.g. ILRI@40 is asking a bulk of work from me. Some of that work needs to be subcontracted now perhaps? ACTION: Ewen to talk to Peter B about this.

5. AOB

Induction program

Peter B sent us a message asking our team (namely Muthoni and Tsehay, but building upon work by Angela too) to develop a good and consistent comms induction program. It needs to be developed by early November when the new comms staff will be coming over to Addis and Nairobi for that.

Peter B's pointers (items to cover in the induction): 1. Meet all the comms people (CKM – plus embedded depending on their roles); 2. Learn all our worksflows, platforms and guidelines; 3. Know who to contact for what; 4. Be able to do many basic things independently; 5. Get fully yammered; 6. ?

Once per month we need to have a comms induction with the groups. The process is somewhat different between Addis and Nairobi so Anj/Umu/Tse should sit and discuss this and come up with a process (a wiki page linked from the FAQ page on the ILRI comms wiki).

ACTION POINT: Angie, Muthoni, Tsehay to work on induction guidelines on a wiki page (on ILRI Comms) and (perhaps) to develop 2-3 slides as handouts for the key comms channels ('The big 5').


Consultant roster in Drupal

The IRMC asked for a list of consultants to have CVs etc. easily accessible. AN has also been informed/involved by Peter. Simplicant might be the platform to work on and Ben asked Iddo for inputs (since he launched Simplicant). IRMC just want the front-end, but we'll have to think about the work flow etc. on Drupal. Let's not mix up Simplicant and the P&OD microsite with this.

Need for help or changes in these team meetings?

Peer assists are happening all the time... Ben is always there to help. Next time we could also focus on the ILRI@40 (October 1 to improve on November 6) / Info centre revamp (to turn this into next action steps)?