E&C team meeting 20140703

From ilri-comms ilriwikis

Present: Angela, Ben, Ewen, Muthoni + Tsehay (virtually, though most often not online due to poor internet connectivity).


#x-AgendaAgenda

Hopefully 3 or so hours to go through this... Possibly more but then in smaller chunks

  • Updates of recent work until now by everyone
  • Questions, issues etc. to make things work
  • Pipeline work: what everyone knows they have to work on (map it on calendar)
  • Our akin network: CapDev, HR, ICT… and how we deal with it
  • Planning big projects

OCS roll-out Seminars to revive: Internal comms revamp and info centre relcaunch ILRI @ 40 regional support/engagement… Events to support: * Alice * KMC4CRP3 KK training revamp ILRINet

  • Further developing our strategy + clarifying everything
  • Engaging with other 'E&C' (embedded) folks - how, what etc.
  • Cross cutting: Capacity development and M&E

Assessment of our capacities and where we want to be IEQ (involvement and engagement quotient - small exercise [optional]) Small facilitation exercise / feedback [optional] M&E of our engagement: how will we assess our work and what metrics do we provide the rest of ILRI comms?

  • Planning team meetings and rotation – every 2 weeks from now on (and Sept.) + next f2f meeting…



Summary of action points

(See Asana E&C team page)

  • Get facilitation materials prepared for info centre (ELB to suggest materials, AN/MN to assemble them in a box ready for use any time)
  • (CD/ICT/POD & Comms)

More discussions with heads of these depts / identify a liaison for each team. Identify possible areas of cooperation / projects Identify ways we can help you engage ILRI staff. Clarify HR definition of internal comms Go see ICT team -

  • (ILRI @ 40)

MN to work with BH to generate a list of media contacts, partners, alumni etc. - working on a contact list (which will move into Mailchimp / Salesforce); JULY MN to meet up with Joyce Maru and to develop facilitation design (set up wiki page on ILRI 40 wiki) - JULY; ELB to work with PB & SMM to get more info on Addis event - discuss with TG - set up with TG - JULY; MN to discuss with SMM with Nadine - and discuss with Nadine if any critical opportunity to support - JULY/AUG; Prepare sthg about ILRI OCS @ 40... (perhaps during the Nairobi event / AA)

  • (Internal comms):

AN / ELB to clarify understanding and strategy of HR with internal comms - 11/07; AN / ELB to check with CapDev/HR/ICT about options to engage - Late August. AN / BH to develop an information needs assessment process - JULY; AN to develop a brief concept note for updating the morning coffee structure - 11/07. AN to identify how to use ILRI announcement blog (with embedded folks) - late JULY. AN to discuss with AY how to improve digital signage (what feedback we have, what we might want to do) - Ongoing; AN/ELB to identify with Susan if there is room for campaigns around themes + develop a template - 04/07; (BH to share Yammer materials on rolling out new softwares); ELB to explore with PB what will happen with ILRINet;

  • (OCS)

ELB / AN develop an internal comms plan (11/07); ELB to revive OCS Yammer - and explore with ICT the option of a Yammer user group;

  • (Engaging with embedded staff)

ELB to List some 'benefits' from this community of practice (in general and specifically about E&C); Organise a conversation with them to discuss a) What do you expect from this cooperation? (how can we help you?) b) How do you envisage connecting with the wider ILRI comms team? c) What opportunity do you see that we may not see? in August. ELB to do F2F convo in Addis with Fanos/Simret (in September)

  • Miscellaneous

ELB to send invite to team meetings every 2nd Wednesday ELB to plan next team meeting in late August

#x-NotesMeeting notes

Our agenda ahead as we know it now

20140703 120628.jpg20140703 120632.jpg20140703 120636.jpg This will be put on the Asana calendar if possible.

Principles of our E&C work

This team is about learning and sharing so we need to walk our talk on this. This means that we have to share updates on Yammer at least once per week and more if possible (sharing news, questions, reactions, resources etc.), reflect on and document our work on the Maarifa blog and on the ILRI Comms wiki. Since this year is about a lot of trial and error, but anyway throughout, we want to flag any problem when they arise, rather than let them escalate. We can call on each other to help each other, pick each other's brains etc.

We will work without email as a trial also. We will have team meetings every second Wednesday at 1.30 pm. ELB will send an invite for these regular meetings. If one of us is not around, nevermind (but let's try and avoid planning meetings during that time), the others should meet anyhow - ELB will try and assign someone if he's travelling. These meetings will be organised and facilitated on rotation.

Engaging with our akin networks

How do we work with HR (POD) / CapDev etc. We work on partnerships with them. Build our reach - talk to students, staff etc. about the tools. Working with CapDev, ICT, POD: If we work with them, we can talk to staff in other ways. We should be working together to ensure the training is giving the best way --> Perhaps involve them in designing training events. Good transparency between ICT and Comms - keep clear roles. A lot of units generate great ideas but expect others to deliver. They should take ownership. Working together with key accounts (contact persons to help on specific projects)... When working with ICT/HR/CapDev you need to understand our role in it. Build more capacity - develop ILRI champions in those areas. OCS training going on right now but only focusing on the technical side of it.

ACTION POINTS: - More discussions with heads of these depts / identify a liaison for each team - Identify possible areas of cooperation / projects - Identify ways we can help you engage ILRI staff - Clarify HR definition of internal comms - OCS - Go see ICT team

Presentation Asana:

  • BH to invite everyone
  • All to comment on requirements
  • ELB to pull plans for each project there
  • ELB to assign a person to each activity...
  • We pilot it for Q3-Q4 and we take stock early on about this.

Planning projects

ILRI 40

(Informal lead: Muthoni Njiru)

  • Grand opening in November (AA)
  • Nairobi event in early October - more formal. Keynote speaker, hard talks etc., tours around the campus...
  • For Addis: Sheraton formal. Day 2 is family day (more serious) + Addis alumni
  • Whole series of other events: World Food Day, TropenTag etc. involving ILRI highly - piggybacking on each other's events.

Action plan:

  • MN to work with BH to generate a list of media contacts, partners, alumni etc. - working on a contact list (which will move into Mailchimp / Salesforce); JULY
  • MN to meet up with Joyce Maru and to develop facilitation design (set up wiki page on ILRI 40 wiki) - JULY;
  • ELB to work with PB & SMM to get more info on Addis event - discuss with TG - set up with TG - JULY;
  • MN to discuss with SMM with Nadine - and discuss with Nadine if any critical opportunity to support - JULY/AUG;
  • Prepare sthg about ILRI OCS @ 40... (perhaps during the Nairobi event / AA);

TG interested and tentatively committed to this piece of work for Addis-based and global activities.

Internal comms

(Informal lead: Angeline Nekesa) Lots of ideas shared at AA comms meeting. We can also use the ILRI announcement blog for internal comms. POD work is a good opportunity to develop work around this;

  • AN / ELB to clarify understanding and strategy of POD with internal comms - 11/07;
  • AN / ELB to check with CapDev/POD/ICT about options to engage - Late August;
  • AN / BH to develop an information needs assessment process - JULY;
  • AN to develop a brief concept note for updating the morning coffee structure - 11/07;
  • AN to identify how to use ILRI announcement blog (with embedded folks) - late JULY;
  • AN to discuss with AY how to improve digital signage (what feedback we have, what we might want to do) - Ongoing;
  • AN/ELB to identify with Susan if there is room for campaigns around themes + develop a template - 04/07;
  • TG to identify options for updated coffee morning in Addis;

Other projects and plans:

  • ELB to explore with PB what will happen with ILRINet. BH interested in this.

OCS

There will be a light launch of OCS, with some parts of some modules rolled out in September/October. See notes from recent steering committee meeting at: [https:docs.google.com/document/d/1qXGGHsXPSKEfcAnrC0WEUxMqMZmbuWpMgSy7oe6locw/edit#| https:docs.google.com/document/d/1qXGGHsXPSKEfcAnrC0WEUxMqMZmbuWpMgSy7oe6locw/edit#]

Aspects related to OCS: Donor management/intelligence with BH. Will Salesforce use case be replaced with OCS? Idea management is another area where BH might be involved.

We (the OCS team) will have to develop a helpdesk / transparent issue management and to manage expectations.

Action points:

  • (BH to share Yammer materials on rolling out new softwares);
  • ELB / AN / TG to develop an internal comms plan (11/07);
  • ELB to revive OCS Yammer group - and explore with ICT the option of a Yammer user group;

Engaging with other E&C (embedded folks)

A lot of concerns from the embedded folks about WIIFM (what's in it for me)... E&C can figure out what are the gain points with them?

Action points:

  • ELB: List some 'benefits' from this ILRI Comms community of practice (in general and specifically about E&C);
  • Organise a conversation with them to discuss a) What do you expect from this cooperation? (how can we help you?) b) How do you envisage connecting with the wider ILRI comms team? c) What opportunity do you see that we may not see? in August.
  • ELB to do F2F convo in Addis with Fanos/Simret (in September)

Capacity development and M&E

Capacity development

Salesforce training for BH. Training for OCS for AN, TG. MN to read facilitation toolkits etc. Facilitation training coming up and MN, TG (and AN?) to apply for and attend this training whenever it comes out.

Get facilitation materials prepared for info centre (ELB to suggest materials, AN/MN to assemble them in a box ready for use any time)

M&E

We need to develop social media metrics - BH possibly interested in this. A review of social media by BH is available for review. BH will be reviewing online research team which might provide inputs to this series of metrics. Salesforce dashboard will have some metrics to feed into this.. TG interested in this area (F2F particularly). MN possibly joining this further down the line.

Slide1.JPG

Summarising planning and AAR

Next F2F meeting in late August - ELB to plan. Put up list of facilitation materials to prepare for Nairobi office.

After action review: See picture here: Good: Clear action points, shared talking time, scheduling our activities on the board.

We need to improve: virtual liaison and ICT logistical support to organise beforehand.

We need to change: Clarify budget in the future. Get to share tasks (logistics / facilitation / documentation).