Creating a blog
Steps to follow for creating ILRI Blogs
All the blog platforms will be created with corporate account "ilricomms"
Usually the name of the blog comes from the people who is requesting but we should suggest a short url if they come up with a long one.
It is important when creating a blog platform to follow these steps: 1. create the platform with ilricomms account 2. Design (look and feel, CSS, widget, ....see the details below) 2. Create categories (refer: ilri-comms wiki at ilri-comms/tags and categories) 3. Domain name registration if it is requested
- Liaise with CGNet people to set up DNS record, once the DNS record completed and tasted
- We purchase domain mapping on wordpress
6. Publish the link on ilri-comms wiki under “blog list” 7. Publish the link on CSE 8. Publish the link on CRD RING platform 9. Give training for content contributors
Details for setting up the blog look and feel and widget (1)
- Use Theme – Sight by WPShower
- List of Widgets to use (right side of the Theme)
Text: ILRI and CGIAR logos, for ILRI blog, (for projects it will be with their logo and partners) Text: Welcome text Text: Subscribe to updatess Twitter v. Recent comments Recent posts vii. RSS: Latest ILRI outputs RSS: News from ILRI blogs Image: ILRI photos (link to ILRI sets) Category cloud Archives Text: list of ILRI social media tools Facebook Blog stats
- Use custom Menus
Primary navigation and Secondary navigation we have next to the search box (News feeds | Photos | Presentations | Videos)
- Header (change the banner for each blog) – Suggested width is 580 pixels. Suggested height is 150 pixels
- Custom Background (#dbdbdb)
- With the Custom Design upgrade change the look and feel exactly the way you want (ILRI’s style). Apply a custom color palette and background pattern, or dive into CSS to make all the presentational changes you desire.
- Sight supports WordPress features — a custom header, background, and widgets…
2. Featured Slider
- Sight displays up to 30 of your sticky posts that have featured images in a prominent slider on the front page. To add a post to the slider, mark it as sticky and give it a featured image.
- Featured images in the sticky posts slider are 290 pixels in height with a flexible width (maximum width is 640 pixels). (Should be uploaded on Wordpress)
3. Date format: 10 Dec 2012 4. Font to use: Calibri
Once the blog design /look and feel finished, there are basic setup we should put
5. Create categories (refer: ilri-comms wiki at ilri-comms/tags and categories) 6. Publish the link on ilri-comms wiki under “blog list” 7. Publish the link on CSE 8. Publish the link on CRD RING platform 9. Give training for content contributors